Are you looking for an easy, homemade, vegan-friendly, frugal tomato soup? Well, you may have found it!
Credit must go to Mr.B for this recipe, which he created last week from a wonderful gift of tomatoes grown by my out-laws.
I’m a pretty good cook but unless it’s something I’ve made many times, then I have to follow a recipe. Mr.B, on the other hand, is a wizard at rustling up delicious meals out of what appears to be nothing in the kitchen (and I’m eternally grateful for this!).
Soup is a usually always a frugal winner and as we were so impressed with how this particular creation turned out, I thought I’d share this cheap and cheerful, yet healthy recipe with others
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- 1 large onion (roughly chopped).
- 6 garlic cloves (chopped).
- 1.5kg of tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons of mixed herbs (or basil, if you prefer).
- 4 tablespoons of tomato puree.
- 2 vegetable stock cubes (dissolved in 1 pint of boiling water).
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Grab a large saucepan, add the oil and heat on a low to medium temperature (the temperature remains the same throughout the recipe).
- Add the chopped onions and garlic and cook until soft.
- Meanwhile, wash the tomatoes and remove their cores.
- Add the tomatoes, herbs and tomato puree to the saucepan and stir. Put the lid on.
- Cook for approximately 15 mins, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes begin to soften and break down.
- Add the vegetable stock.
- Put the saucepan lid back and cook for approximately 30 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly and blend it until it’s smooth.
- Return the soup to the heat and simmer until it’s your desired thickness (if too thick, add boiling water).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
(N.B. If you don’t want the tomato seeds in the soup, then pass the mixture through a sieve before serving).
Make this recipe even more frugal by growing your own tomatoes, onions, garlic, herbs, and by making your own vegetable stock (which can be made from leftover veg and kept in the freezer for whenever you need it for recipes).